This is a strong and bitter herbal blend, with stems and dust, best if drank cold (terere). Check out the additives.
1. Panax ginseng
is an herbal supplement derived from the roots of the ginseng
plant, (also known as Asian ginseng, Chinese ginseng, or Korean ginseng). This type of ginseng should not be confused with American ginseng or Siberian ginseng, which have different medicinal properties. People claim that Panax ginseng is beneficial for various general uses, such as:
- Increasing resistance to stress (including physical and emotional stress)
- Stimulating the immune system
- Improving overall mental health and functioning (including improving memory)
- Improving overall health and well-being
- Slowing the aging process.
Here is the US panax ginseng sells for well over $100/lb., very high demand in China. I have no idea how much of it is in the product.
2. Katuaba, a Guarani
word that means "what gives strength to the Indian". In Brazil they use the bark from the tree (catuaba) but in Paraguay they use the leaf which sustains the plant. Catuaba bark has become unstainable.
Katuaba has become a very popular yerba mate additive in Paraguay despite its bitter taste.
3. Cedron (Lemon Verbena), adds a nice lemon flavor to the brew and it has a few medicinal properties as well. It is said to has calming and digestive qualities. The plant has a gentle sedative action and a reputation for soothing abdominal discomfort. It has a mildly tonic effect upon the nervous system and helps to lift the spirits and counter depression.